GO Solid

Joey's Journal - September 24, 2006

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

May the Lord's mercy, joy and peace be with you always!

I am pleased to send you next week's journal for your reading and reflection. I pray that the Word of God touches your heart and meditate on the eternal rewards in heaven. As Psalm 49 states, we should not count on our wealth to go with us when we die as all that we have amassed on earth will stay there. We will stand with nothing when we are in front of God. So, brothers and sisters, let us remember to invest in what we will enjoy in heaven by believing and trusting in God, obeying His commands and doing good here on earth. These are the investments that we will give us eternal rewards in God's presence.

May the Lord protect from all that is evil, provide for your needs and guide you to the righteous path for a close and personal relationship with Him.

Have a blessed week with the Lord.

Joey

'But thanks be to God who always leads us in triumphal procession through Christ for us to spread everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him.' (2 Cor. 2:14)

September 24, 2006

Our Father in heaven, thank You for sending Your angels to watch over us; for calming down a restless and crying Joel, a peaceful sleep for Joshua and for bringing my wife safely home last night. You are really awesome, Lord. I thank You for the provision and guidance given to us. In times of trouble and worries, Your Holy Spirit calms us down and recharges our walk with You. I ask for Your continued wisdom to correctly reflect on Your Word. Give Your words Lord so that I may record them and those reading the journal may be touched and be blessed by it.

A special prayer for Joel who is participating in the school’s musical, may he perform and sing well; may there be no miscues or mishaps in the children’s performance and may You guide them to have a great and rewarding time! All these I ask in the Mighty Name of Jesus. Amen.


My reading - Psalm 49

Earthly possessions will not redeem us from death


Listen to this, all you people! Pay attention, everyone in the world! High and low, rich and poor – listen! For my words are wise, and my thoughts are filled with insight. I listen carefully to many proverbs and solve riddles with inspiration from a harp. There is no need to fear when times of trouble come, when enemies are surrounding me. They trust in their wealth and boast of great riches. Yet they cannot redeem themselves from death by paying a ransom to God. Redemption does not come so easily, for no one can ever pay enough to live forever and never see the grave. Those who are wise must finally die, just like the foolish and the senseless, leaving all their wealth behind. The grave is their eternal home, where they will stay forever. They may name their estates after themselves, but they leave their wealth to others. They will not last long despite their riches – they will die like the animals. This is the fate of fools, though they will be remembered as being so wise.

Like sheep, they are led to the grave, where death will be their shepherd. In the morning the godly will rule over them. Their bodies will rot in the grave, far from their grand estates. But as for me, God will redeem my life. He will snatch me from the power of death. So don’t be dismayed when the wicked grow rich, and their homes become ever more splendid. For when they die, they carry nothing with them. Their wealth will not follow them to their grave. In this life they consider themselves fortunate, and the world loudly applauds their success. But they will die like all others before them and never again see the light of day. People who boast of their wealth don’t understand that they will die like the animals.

My reflection – There is no way for a person to buy eternal life with God. God alone can redeem our soul. We can’t count on wealth and physical comforts to keep us happy because we will never have enough wealth or material possessions to keep us from dying. In previous journals, we have read that we will leave all these behind, and whatever we have accumulated on earth will stay there. Whether we are rich or poor, we can not take it to where we are going as we stand ‘naked and empty-handed’ before God.

At the time of our death, each of us will wish we had invested less on earth, where we must leave it, and more in heaven, where we will retain it forever. The only riches that will count are those we have invested already in our eternal heritage. To ultimately enjoy the treasures of heaven, we must place our faith in God, pledge ourselves in complete obedience to Him, and serve Him through our resources for the good of His Kingdom. Now is the good time to check up on our investments and see where we have invested the most and where they really count.

My PrayerLord, my human frailties grip me with fear. In my life, why have I tried to connect success to wealth and fortune? Haven’t I seen a lot of successful people pass away and all that they amassed were left behind to relations, who more often than not, squabbled about their inheritance? Father God, I know that I am guilty of wanting more material and earthly possessions to show off my success and notoriety. I truly repent for my wrong attitude and hope for Your mercy and forgiveness. May I give You thanks and praise for the goodness You gave in my life. May I show repentance by being more content and satisfied to the things You bless me with because I know that You are the God, who gives all and takes all of it away. All these things on earth are Yours! I pray these in Jesus’ Name. Amen.

by Joey B

This GoSolid blog has been supporting Busby SEO contest.

No comments:

 
;;